So we’ve lived at our current house for a little over a year. We aren’t planning on it being our permanent location, so I made a vow that I was NOT doing ANY renovations! We have done updates to every house we’ve been in and flipped 4 other rental properties, so I surely didn’t want another home project. You would think! However, my inner HGTV loving, Joanna Gaines wanna be, couldn’t take it any longer.
The Summer days were getting longer and the evenings were so pretty, and we weren’t using our back yard at all. Adler is almost three and definitely wanting to be outside, so I decided to create him an inexpensive play area, with the space we already had.
Joshua removed the lattice from under our deck, and cleared all the things growing under there out! We simply added a 2×4 down the middle to create two different play stations!
We made an outdoor chalkboard which I’ll share at the end, but used part of the board we had to cut and drilled it into the deck to give Adler and Leland another small chalk board to use at his dump truck station.
For the “dump station” I found foam play mats at Lowe’s. They are 4×4 and 4 to a pack for $20. I believe we only used 2 packs!
For the road, I bought acrylic paint in the craft section at Walmart for $3. I used sponge brushes and painted lines on.
Joshua had an extra tire we put in the center and then we filled it with 4 bags of pea gravel. (Those were $4 each).
For the sand box, we lined it with landscaping liner and stapled it up around the 2×4’s so the sand wouldn’t spill out. Then we dumped 22 bags of play sand in there from Lowe’s! That was the most expensive part, each bag was around $5, so a little over $100 for the home-made sandbox. I did my research however, and most pre-made sandboxes cost at least that much to purchase and are half the size!
Lastly, Joshua and I made this outdoor chalkboard to hang on our fence. I am linking the tutorial we followed here. If you have a handy man, or know someone handy, it really wasn’t a bad project. Painting takes the longest, because the board requires 3 coats, but assembling it was not so bad.
Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave any questions in the comments. I’d be happy to answer them :).